RSJ or Reinforced concrete? What sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am in the process of pricing up knocking a ground floor wall down in my house. The wall is part of the original external cavity wall, width 250mm.

The new opening will span 3.5m. Would reinforced concrete lintels be sufficient for this or would you advise an RSJ. Roughly what sizes would they need to be?

I will be getting calculations done for this, but just want to know rough sizes required so that I can start to see how much things will cost.

Sponsored Links
P.C.C. lintels' suitability are limited to certain applications and locations and are rarely chosen for large load-bearing spans.

It is likely that you will need a pair of steels bolted together along with the relevant calculations in order to satisfy building control.

It would be a steel I should think.

I'm assuming it is holding up the wall above, first floor and also the roof.

Let us know some more info and someone should be able to give you a better idea of size but as a guestimate I should think it would be a pair of approx 200mm high x 100 wide steels.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies.

Had been thinking it would have to be steel. Yes it will be supporting the wall above and the roof.

The upstairs floor joists are currently built into the exiting external wall so these will be adding to the load across the new opening.

Concrete would be inappropriate.. as said above a couple of steel beams in the region of 200mm deep..

Course that will get firmed up when you get the calcs & drawings for Building Regs done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back