RSJ too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The overall width of a garage under construction is 5.40metres.

I have a length of RSJ (lying unused) which is 5.20 metres long by 200 mm, by 130 mm.

If I were to include brick piers in the walls would that be Okay ?.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hello

The overall width of a garage under construction is 5.40metres.

I have a length of RSJ (lying unused) which is 5.20 metres long by 200 mm, by 130 mm.

If I were to include brick piers in the walls would that be Okay ?.

Thank you.
Sounds very slender for the length. What is this beam meant to be doing? Will the additional pier bricks be adequately supported by a foundation and be properly built into the brickwork?

Respect for that old pioneering spirit of throwing in any old RSJ that you just happen to have lying around.

Lets hope that the actual loads that will sit on the beam won't scupper this little plan.

Bearing length would be OK but, as others have pointed out, it's a bit slender for its length, so buckling and/or deflection will govern and its load-carrying capacity will be low.

Sponsored Links
I am pleased that I asked the forum. Always like to have second opinion. RSJ now out of the picture. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back