RSJs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had engineering calcs done and because it is a 500mm thick stone wall the guy recommends 152x152 and using 3 bolted together. No problem with that because it makes it easier lifting them into a tight space.

What I'm not sure about is that the padstones are specified as 440x140x215 - 6 in total so separate ones under each beam on the 140 edge

Any comments, I would have thought having one bigger pad through the with of the wall would have been more stable? Then having all 3 on the same pad so they are level

Sponsored Links
With stone walls in older houses, there's usually a decent outer skin, rougher inner skin, and a void between the skins filled with rubble. If that's the case, surely an inner padstone wouldn't be bearing on firm masonry?
Agree that one bigger pad going through the wall would be more stable.
Would a length of 9" x 4" pre-cast concrete lintel cut to 500 long work?

Yeah one big padstone not three separate ones, the idea is to spread the load of the three UBs acting as one, not individually. Your engineer is not thinking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back