rstrui.exe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
last week between antivirus software i went looking for a story on bin laden and yep you guessed it i was pepperd with what xp told me was malware,trojans and viruses 23 in total it kept advising me pay $ 59 to clean it up but the net kept shutting down anyways i managed to the net up and running straight away bi purchased an antivirus ,bullguard i can't system restore or open loads of programs to open i have found to right click then open it tells me there is no file associated with this application and system restore tells me that rstrui.exe is missing can this be repaired for free or would i need to see a tech shop i have tried various sited that all want payment but im sure its a load bs and could'nt fix anyways any help please ....

Sponsored Links
You've managed to pick up a malware program ( I suspect you've clicked a link for video and you've been asked to download some .exe program to allow the video).
Start up your computer in safe mode with networking. (tap F8 key whilst windows is starting up, till you get startup options screen) select safe mode with networking)
Once started, open your web browser and search for Malwarebytes Anti Malware (MBaM)
Download and install MBaM, then update MBaM.
Run a full scan using MBaM. It should find the malware that's affecting your computer. Once the scan is complete, remove the items it finds (fairly obvious what to do)
Restart your computer in normal mode.
Once your computer has restarted, you'll have to turn off System Restore and then create a new system restore point from today.
(Do a search on the internet for how to turn off and turn on system restore)

It's most important that you turn of and turn back on system restore though, because if you don't, then you could unwittingly restore your computer (at some time in the future) back to a point where your computer was infected.

I had the MS Removal Tool Malware about a week ago. Took a couple of hours to remove it.

DONT whatever you do at the moment PAY ANYTHING over the internet for programs to remove whatever it is your computer says it has got. (specially if you get a popup telling you, that you have a virus etc.

Anyways, loads of info on the net about malware infections and how to remove them. ;) ;)
Do let us know how you get on though, and I hope happy days are soon restored to your computer..

Thanks for the reply i tried the above but the system restore settings flags up a banner saying it needs to close asking if i want to debug a pressed the debug and nothing happned also when i press certain programs it says ....create anassociation in the folder options control panel
? i can open the folders if i right click and open in folder f ...will

These are getting increasingly common - the fake AV stuff is very plausable and professional looking now, and gets past several modern AV systems (Seen it walk right past Eset and AVG at least), and it gets rooted in very deep. Joinerjohn's advice is good, by the way.

Losing file associations has been dealt with before - here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=271877 and I've replied on another thread too. Depends on file extension on which fix.

Sponsored Links
thanks joiner john i ran mbam in safemode found 63 issues wiped them then rebooted sorted thanks again ..will

Back