Rubber or Felt? Which is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a maisonette and have a set of outside steps to our front door.
We have since fitted a new front door at the top of these stairs and so sealing off the small area to create a small cloakroom.
However, since the weather has turned cold our porch roof has started to 'sweat' on the inside and beads of water now hang/drip on the underside of the porch roof.
The roof is concrete and is currently not covered with any material.
It is a small-ish porch roof too, approx 2.5-3 metres long by approx 1.5 metres wide.
I am wanting to know material would stop this 'sweating' effect and insulate our roof better.
I was quoted an insane amount of money by someone to felt it but I'm happy to take on a DIY task if I know what I need.
If I could get it sorted by a tradesman at a decent cost then I would consider this too but I at least want to know myself what would be the best method.

Any help appreicated. I need to get this done sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
I suspect from your description that you have condensation not penetration, so felting or otherwise won't do anything. By sealing up this small area you have created an airlock where the slightly warmer air from the flat is meeting the cold surface of the roof and condensing, mainly because there is no ventilation or air circulation. You might be able to insulate the underside of the roof but I somehow doubt you will do much to solve it.

Others may have a different take on it.

Hi

Yes it is condensation.
The air temp in the porch area is much cooler then the hallway. So when we go down the internal stairs to the porch/front door you can notice it.
I was thinking of making some air holes in the back wall again but don't want to let the cold in.
It's strange how it affects the outer half of the porch ceiling and not inner half that joins the main outer wall of the building.
Perhaps a small electric heater needs to be fitted :confused:
Or a de-humidifer.....
Fine in the summer....just the winter months that will cause this.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Insulate the ceiling if you can, you can get insulation backed plasterboard.

Or build a small false ceiling, insulate that and reboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.
I will look into that.
Our porch also has glass blocks amongst the bricks of the outer wall.
these have been getting condensation too so I'm thinking that the walls and ceiling ideally need insulating too.
Ah well. Might have to re-think my cloakroom layout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back