Rubber Roof flashing to renedered wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rubber roof fitted to my kitchen about 3 years ago has been left by the installer as in the pics:

3-jpg.219395

2-jpg.219396

1-jpg.219394

He left the sheeting resting against the brickwork presumably expecting the retaining strip at the bottom of the rendering to allow any water from the wall to drip straight onto the roof. He was called back within a month to cure a leak and left a blob of mortar as seen. This cured the problem until recently. The streak up the wall is a trail of silicone which he spread into a hairline crack in the render.

Recently water has again been getting in along the joint (wall to rubber) and I'm wondering if I've been left with yet another bodge to sort out, tradesman since retired and long gone.

Wonder if anybody could offer advice as to a suitable method of permanently sorting this. I thought of a UPVC strip fastened and sealed to the rendering and taken to nearly the level of the flat roof or having lead flashing installed to do a similar job even of it meant hacking the render off the wall to find a mortar course. Any advice /opinions as to the best course of action would be welcome.
Hopefully pics come out Ok - advice on this also welcome if necessary!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Professional method. Grind a channel with a diamond blade into wall and insert lead flashing. DIY method. Glue a strip of pvc. to the wall and let it hang down an inch below the render.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much catlad for taking the time to reply. I'm going down the Plastic trim route eventually unless somebody else comes up with a better idea although I can't imagine any other solutions. I'm thinking that I'd use something like the lead sealant as used with flashing to form a seal between the pastic and the rendering, just because of it's claimed longevity, unless you could suggest something more appropriate - as I'm typing I'm thinking that UPVC frame sealer might be a be a better solution as it's more flexible and doesn't harden. I'd seal the top with paint every time the render is painted.
I'd be grateful for comments!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back