Rubbish LED Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do LED lamps bought from online never do what they are supposed to?

I've replaced mine three times now in two years. That's less than 10% of the promised life.

I'd like some colour changing lights in my garden but I know I'm going to get my fingers burnt!

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. :(

Sponsored Links
My advice is avoid the internet! It's full of non-technical people selling rubbish (sometimes dangerous) from China. Trust the better wholesalers, they know what the're buying, and don't buy unbranded items ever!

As for colour changing systems, there are some fabulous UK-based manufacturers such as AbstractAVR and Cromatix, see:

http://www.abstractavr.com/
http://www.ledlightingproducts.co.uk/

I think they both offer three year warranty.

Good Luck, Brian!

How are the problematic lamps fitted? I.e. into what sort of lamp? Are they enclosed in some way, or open on all sides?

You should allow time for the lamps to cool after they have been used. This should stop you getting your fingers burned.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't trust buying things like lamps online (unless from a good reputation supplier). I'd much rather go into a store and get something from there.

The worst performance is when they're in a fire-rated housing, but even when they're open I've had trouble.

The problem I find is that there is so much hype about these things my customers expect them to last forever and cost nothing to run, and call me out when one fails!

I think there should be more regulation with these things. It seems that anyone can open an online shop and sell anything they like with no comeback!

How are the problematic lamps fitted? I.e. into what sort of lamp? Are they enclosed in some way, or open on all sides?

Thanks all, went to my local Bradshaws and got some (hopefully) good GU10 lamps.

Thanks for all the replies.[/youtube]

You but cheap you buy twice, or thrice or more.
Have led's that have lasted well but you need to spend at least £8-9 a bulb, the Chinese imports don't last 5 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back