Incandescent filament or LED lamps. extra costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To reduce the cost of electricity a number of lamps have been changed from incandescent to LED.

The lamp monitoring system is no longer functional It is indicating that every lamp has failed even though they do light when required to be lit.

A new monitoring system has to be created, it might cost less than the savings made by the reduced electricity bills

Sponsored Links
As the price of LED bulbs has gone down, and tungsten bulbs has gone up, the cost of using LED bulbs has reduced, however the problems caused by using LED bulbs is resulting in problems, I know my car monitors the current used by indicators and alerts driver if one has failed, so LED bulbs in a trailer are a problem, but not tried to monitor power used by lamps in the house.

The socket power monitoring devices seem widely inaccurate under 2 watt, I have installed auto change over and monitoring with extractor fans, but not lights, all my chandeliers you can see if one bulb has failed, without needing any warning light, I know my hall light had two bulbs, and failure of one could not be noticed so it could end up with both failing.

But LED bulbs last that long, a once a year inspection would be enough, does not really warrant any bulb failure device.

The electronic switch has caused me some problems, to date two have been removed, and flicker from the bulbs is also a problem, cure is one tungsten bulb, but once tungsten bulbs are not available not sure, what to do, flashing when switched off easy enough to cure, flicker when on however only cure seems to be one tungsten bulb.

I found getting a propriety current monitoring relay that could measure less than 2 amps was hard, I know you can build units, and there are RCD units which are basic current monitoring which could be altered, but I suspect your not permitted any short cuts if it is so critical to report lamp loss, but also where it is so important I found money did not seem to matter.

When working in tunnels because one could lose supply it was automatic dismissal if we were caught without our miners lamp, really heavy battery, two bulbs main and pilot, just can't think of any job I have been on where I had to monitor lights. So can't really help.

Sponsored Links
Update. The cost of designing and constructing ( and proving ) a reliable LED lamps failure system has been passed to the ( bean counting ) committee. They are having a re-think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back