Rules for an extension on a semi-detached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me posting this, but looking through all the guidlines is a nightmare, and I was hoping someone would be able to put me straight in terms of the actual rules.

I live in a 3bed-semi (ex authority house), and as I understand it I can add an extension without planning permission providing that it is no more than 3 metres from the house and is a single storey. First up, could you confirm that this is the case, or have I misread?
My second question, is what is the definition of a single storey in terms of the roof? If it has a pitched roof at a rightangle to the house, how high is this allowed (if at all?).
And finally, can the extension be flush with the edge of our property, or does there need to be a gap left between us and the other half of the semi?

thanks all...

Sponsored Links
3m is the maximum projection from the rear wall; maximum roof height 4m; maximum height of eaves if within 2m of boundary (which yours probably will be) 3m.
You can do it flush with the boundary.

Sponsored Links
PD rights are your Permitted Development Rights, all properties have them and you have certain rights to build an extension, or an outbuilding, or a porch or whatever within certain limits. Sometimes though these Rights or parts of them can be removed by a Local Authority hence you need to phone your Local Planning department. So ask them to 'check if your property retains its full permitted development rights'.

Hang on for a few weeks. The proposal to amend the PD rights to allow 6 or 8m extensions will be getting Royal Assent soon and become law for three years

As your property is an ex council house you need to check the wording of your paperwork carefully. Often when councils first drew these up for the initial sale they'd put in a clause which would say something along the lines of:

"no alterations / developments may be made without prior consent of the local authority"

This would essentially constitute removal of PD rights, but depending on the wording then there may be reason to suggest that applying for a certificate of proposed lawful development constitutes prior consent.

This type of clause is inserted by the Housing Dept to protect their interests in adjacent properties or maintenance of access routes.

It has nothing to do with planning, and only the council acting as the planning authority (not housing authority) can remove PD rights via an Article 4 direction

This type of clause is inserted by the Housing Dept to protect their interests in adjacent properties or maintenance of access routes.

It has nothing to do with planning, and only the council acting as the planning authority (not housing authority) can remove PD rights via an Article 4 direction

Oh, thats good to know then!

Would that still apply if the clause specifically mentioned consent from "planning" authority?

There some specific requirements of right-to-buy legislation, but these clauses relating to certain permission for improvements etc always relate to the council as the housing authority, and any specific covenants will be just as if the housing authority was a private seller

The housing authority can't put a greater burden on the buyer than already exists under statute - ie can't make the new owner ask for permission from the planning authority if planning law does not require it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back