Rules regarding size and clearances in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I’m planning on converting my back bedroom into a separate shower room and bedroom. I’ve seen online a lot of guidance around clearances in front of toilets, part P for electrics etc but wanted to ask if there were any specific requirements for bathrooms. I.E you have to leave X amount of space between toilet and sink, Y is the minimum width of a shower room etc?

I have a small space to work with so don’t want to build something only to be told I’m breaking rules or regs around size and space.

Can anyone provide some clarity or point me to some documentation?
Thanks?
Joe

Sponsored Links
I have a small space to work with so don’t want to build something only to be told I’m breaking rules or regs around size and space.
who is going to tell you ?
probably only will come up if you sell the property - or a neighbour complains

Would it put a buyer off from purchasing - or would they just sort it out

I would not take much notice of guidance - its the rules you are after ........

Are you putting an Electric shower in, there would be some rules for that , depending on size of shower KW and the type of supply , cable size etc .
lights positions near the shower ... height etc - so IP rating

electrical

building regs
lookup bathroom

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe consider a sliding pocket door as that loses no room space
We created a bump out into the bedroom part. It was the width and depth of the door, plus about 100mm, The door opens into the bump out rather than into the en suite or out into bedroom floor space .
We put built in wardrobes either side of the door bump out so we didn't lose anything. Thing with pocket doors is the wall space they need to slide back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back