Run a socket off a lightswitch circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an existing light switch for the back garden electrics (nothing there at the moment). Just a normal switch inside the house.

I am planning to run some small lights around the garden and am also thinking of installing an outdoor 3pin outlet as well. This would be used mainly for a radio if its a nice day, or Christmas lights, or perhaps the strimmer, or electric lawnmower.

The outlet: Good idea running off the lighting circuit? Or will I overAMP the circuit causing cable heating etc.

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Citizen55 :D :D :D

not allowed on several levels
how many wires in the switch

Hi all,

I have an existing light switch for the back garden electrics (nothing there at the moment). Just a normal switch inside the house.
So what does the switch control? What's on the load side?

I am planning to run some small lights around the garden and am also thinking of installing an outdoor 3pin outlet as well. This would be used mainly for a radio if its a nice day, or Christmas lights, or perhaps the strimmer, or electric lawnmower.
Do you live in England or Wales?

Is the circuit RCD protected?

Do you know the rules for installing cables outdoors?

The outlet: Good idea running off the lighting circuit?
No.

Or will I overAMP the circuit causing cable heating etc.
Hopefully not: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:mcbtocable

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

So what does the switch control? What's on the load side?

Nothing - The previous owner had a floodlight (broken), but nothing else is on. I am going to run a few small lights around the garden.

Do you live in England or Wales?
- England

Is the circuit RCD protected?
- Errr....No, unless its on the circuit breaker box itself.

Do you know the rules for installing cables outdoors?
I'm happy about weatherproofing and insulation, cables are all run inside conduit.

thanks for your help.

The outlet: Good idea running off the lighting circuit?
No.

Or will I overAMP the circuit causing cable heating etc.
Hopefully not: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:mcbtocable[/QUOTE][quote][/QUOTE][quote][/QUOTE][quote][/QUOTE]

Hi all,

The outlet: Good idea running off the lighting circuit? Or will I overAMP the circuit causing cable heating etc.

Hello John,
Can I assume the light switch is on a circuit rated less than 13A?
If so this circuit will not be suitable a outside socket that is to power the likes of strimmers and lawnmowers as the current rating of the circuit is to low and you will encounter overloads and trips on the circuit.
It is also likely that you have no neutral at the switch anyway, so a soket would not function.
You need a supply current that is suitable for the load, you will also need suitably IP rated equipment for outside, this will also need RCD protection of 30mA.
If you live in England or Wales, you will need to comply to the notification procedures for this type of instillation.

Hi all,

Thanks, John

Hi John

As a fully fledged 17th Edition Sparks I can say just dont do it, as others have said its wrong on many many levels.

A socket for running equipment outside needs to be correctly wired and be RCD protected at the very least and requires to be done correctly, what your proposing is positively dangerous I'm afaid.

Chris

2 wires on the switch.
No neutral then. Bit of a drawback as far as sockets are concerned.

- England
So you'll need to apply for Building Regulations approval before you start.

- Errr....No, unless its on the circuit breaker box itself.
You don't know if it's RCD protected but you were going to use it for a socket outdoors?

I'm happy about weatherproofing and insulation, cables are all run inside conduit.
That'll be "no", then.

OK, so it looks like a consensus on a 'no' don't do it, which is good because I didn't know and exactly why I asked the question.

Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back