Running a mains cable for a TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just moved into a new build and the missus wants a telly up on the wall in the kitchen, of course where there's no socket. I thought rather than getting a spark to chase one out properly from upstairs or something and create a load of mess we'd have to get put right, perhaps I could just wire a plug up to a bit cable and plug it into the nearest socket, run it over the doorframe and hey presto, done!

My main struggle so far has been finding the right staples and staple gun to get it put to the skirting with, so I can make it look just like the Virgin cable on the other side of the room. As this hasn't been simple I'm beginning to thing I'm going wrong somewhere

So my questions are:
- Is this crazy / unsafe?
- If not, what kind of staples / gun / other type of fixings do I need to make this look as neat as possible?
- Or should I go a different route?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You can probably avoid having power cables clipped over a door frame altogether.

Is this an internal plasterboard stud wall?

If so, are there any sockets on the other side of the wall to where the TV will go?

Is upstairs carpeted yet?

Some photos or a diagram of where the TV is going in relation to existing sockets and the door would be handy.

Gaz :)

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. It's an internal plasterboard stud wall, however it backs onto the downstairs toilet, so no sockets behind it :)

Upstairs is carpeted, and they've glued it down with some kind of spray adhesive by the looks of it, on top of the gripper rods

Will sort some photos / diagrams this evening when I get home

Cheers

Don't forget you will also need to get a signal feed to it as well, either from an aerial or from your VM box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks :) though not a worry, have a Virgin cable running from the front room via the toilet (drilled through), and also plan to have a Wi-Fi fire stick in the back for Netflix etc

3xPrRGV.png

Sorry for the delay, this is my rough floor plan. We'd like a socket where the red arrow is, closest existing sockets are in blue

whats wrong with the bottom wall for the TV?
Are there any appliances in the units you could run the cable from?

Hi all,

Just moved into a new build and the missus wants a telly up on the wall in the kitchen, of course where there's no socket. I thought rather than getting a spark to chase one out properly from upstairs or something and create a load of mess we'd have to get put right, perhaps I could just wire a plug up to a bit cable and plug it into the nearest socket, run it over the doorframe and hey presto, done!

My main struggle so far has been finding the right staples and staple gun to get it put to the skirting with, so I can make it look just like the Virgin cable on the other side of the room. As this hasn't been simple I'm beginning to thing I'm going wrong somewhere

So my questions are:
- Is this crazy / unsafe?
- If not, what kind of staples / gun / other type of fixings do I need to make this look as neat as possible?
- Or should I go a different route?

Cheers!
Apart from the power supply, you will also need to consider how you are going to get a signal cable to the TV concerned.

However, as the outsider that I am, I would be surprised if it was allowable in the UK to permanently affix any flexible plug/socketed 230 V power cable.

In this country it is not allowed to affix any such flexible 230 V cable in any way which requires the use of a "tool" to remove it. Because of this, we have these "stick on" fixings - for which the flexible cable can be inserted and removed by one's figures. (https://www.bunnings.com.au/permastik-small-cable-clips-12-pack_p3950110)

It seems that there are somewhat similar devices available to you in the UK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SELF-ADHE...-COLOUR-FREE-P-P-16mm-25mm-28mm-/160911225473)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
We may treat flexible cable (flex) the same as any other type - bury it, whatever.

Very sensibly, I may add, as what possible differences can there be?

the built in fridge probably has some screws going in to the carcass and should then slide out. you can the stick your extension cable there. if you are lucky it may even have a double socket

OK great, I took a bit of the kickboard out from underneath the fridge/freezer and can see a wire, going to only a single socket unfortunately

I'll try and slide the fridge/freezer out as you suggest and run my cable into there, then rig it through the cupboards and out

There is a devil on my shoulder thinking: as I can see the cable but can't reach the socket, why don't I just isolate the sockets, cut the cable to the fridge/freezer, put a junction box on it (in the plenty of free space under the unit) and run my extension from there - would save unscrewing and pulling the fridge/freezer out. Am I mentally deranged?

You could cut the fridge cable and put a two way trailing socket e.g.
AARS2W.JPG

on the power end and a new plug on the now shorter appliance end. As long as you can work out what fuse is needed for the fridge. Its probably a 5A or less. Neither the fridge or TV are going to be heavy load.

That's great - makes things a lot easier. Looked up the fridge manual and it says it's supplied with a 13A fuse

Will try and get this all sorted at the weekend. Thanks for your help :)

You could cut the fridge cable and put a two way trailing socket e.g.
AARS2W.JPG

on the power end and a new plug on the now shorter appliance end. As long as you can work out what fuse is needed for the fridge. Its probably a 5A or less. Neither the fridge or TV are going to be heavy load.

NO. The fuse is to protect the cable not the fridge so 13 amp probably OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back