Cable tacker problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm having a problem with a cable tacker (a Draper Expert ST3). I cannot for the life of me get it to fire staples! Here's the story;

I haven't used mine since the 90's and as a result the spring on the cable retainer lost it's tension. So I decided to buy a brand new one. I loaded it up with the correct staples, and tried to tack some 6 core alarm cable with it. I am ensuring the cable is straight and flat against a skirting board, but the tacker just will not fire staples. I managed to get it to fire 5 in a row, and then nothing.

I've taken it apart and ensured there are no staples jammed in it, and put it back together. I am applying good, firm pressure when attempting to staple, and keeping a little tension on the cable too all to no avail.

Like I said, I last used one in the 90's and so maybe its just technique - is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Usually its due to the incorrect staples being used, but check that the sliding plunger which is pushed by the spring can touch the anvil right at the end, and that the jaws of the anvil haven't spread a bit.
Give it a spray of WD40 too!
John :)

I checked the plunger and it does go right to the end. I applied a bit of WD-40 as advised, and I managed to get it to fire staples and tack reliably when tested. It seems that the problem occurs if I put in more than around a 2'' length of staples. So I've been putting just short lengths of staples in to get it to work reliably. So it means I run out of staples more often but I guess that's the price to pay to get it to work.

Thank you very much Burnerman for your help. :D

Sponsored Links
Putting too many staples 'wedges' the one to be fired too firmly between the stack of staples and the distant edge, meaning the 'firing pin' just bounces back on itself. Bit like trying to slide one book from the middle of a stack when there is something heavy on top of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back