Running cable for electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently had a block shed built down the garden, possibly 25meters from the house and Consumer unit. I'm just wondering if it's possible to run the cable for the electrician and then let him do the rest. I've managed to get a 6mm T&E from under stairs, under the landing floorboards and out through a hole into the kitchen extension loft space. From there it would join with 6mm SWA and ran out of the kitchen extension across the gravel boards to the shed.

I've already got the 6mm T&E in position to be connected up, which is about a 6meter run. Now I'm wondering if I should have actually done that myself or not. I was just trying to get the most awkward part out of the way for the electrician. Do you think an electrician would have a problem with that?

Thanks
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Ask the electrician that you intend to use ,most would probably not be impressed with your plan.

Ask the electrician that you intend to use ,most would probably not be impressed with your plan.

Thanks, I will be sure to ask before I do anything else. I never thought I could get a cable to the consumer unit due to its position in the house, so always presumed when it comes to getting power to the shed it would come from the back of a socket. So yesterday I had a floorboard up out of curiosity and discovered it would actually be very easy to get a cable straight to the CU. So I thought whilst I've got it up I'll stick a length of T&E in to save the carpet and floorboards coming up again. If the electrician isn't happy with that, then it's no biggie to have them up again.

There will be considerations on protection of the cable. As it is only T&E then the supply may need RCD protection at source. It depoends on the route that the cable takes. It is important to consult the person who is going to have to sign the installation certificate (they certify that he/she did the work).

Sponsored Links
There will be considerations on protection of the cable. As it is only T&E then the supply may need RCD protection at source. It depoends on the route that the cable takes. It is important to consult the person who is going to have to sign the installation certificate (they certify that he/she did the work).

Just had the electrician round, he is happy with what I've done. The T&E is only from the supply to a junction box approx 6 meters away where it will be joined with SWA which will run the rest of the route to the shed. He is going to supply the materials and is happy for me to do the graft running the swa down the garden, then he will do the bit's that require a brain.

There are quite a few decisions that "require a brain" to get where you are at the moment. Not least of these is the relationship between total circuit length and the design current.

You have not mentioned Ib.

There are quite a few decisions that "require a brain" to get where you are at the moment. Not least of these is the relationship between total circuit length and the design current.

You have not mentioned Ib.

Of course, it does. I can't answer your questions about circuit length and design current, as I don't have a bloody clue and will leave that to my electrician. All I can tell you is what I've been told. He is happy with the 6mm T&E I've put in, he is getting me the armoured cable 6mm 3core and is happy for me to run it where it needs to go, The run from consumer unit to shed is about 25m, He said he is putting four double sockets in it and two LED batten lights. I told him what I'm planning to power in it (Small power tools and small welder that requires 16amp connection). He mentioned either a 32 or 40amp breaker in the consumer unit. That is all I know to be honest.

My point was unless you know the circuit length and Ib, you cannot choose the cable size.

To buy what you think might be the correct size means you might discover later on that you cannot put the load on the cable that you wanted to, thus necessitating cable replacement..

My point was unless you know the circuit length and Ib, you cannot choose the cable size.

To buy what you think might be the correct size means you might discover later on that you cannot put the load on the cable that you wanted to, thus necessitating cable replacement..
I thought that the moment I finished putting the 6mm T&E in. It was a spur of the moment thing I only had the floorboards up to see if it was possible and when It was thought I'd run a cable, so they wouldn't have to come up again. I asked the Electrician multiple times if it would be adequate because if It came to it, I would happily change it, but he reassured me it would be plenty.

Really, I should have asked him first.

We regularly get posts on here from people who think they can do a bit of electrical work and get stuck. They come asking silly questions that should be obvious to most who can handle a screwdriver then when pushed claim their electrician is not available/in hospital/on holiday/yada yada yada. It's totally obvious to us they have no electrician and have no intention of employing one. From their comments we know it will end with a botched job and sometimes even post pictures of the mess they create asking us to put their mind at ease by confirming it's safe etc.

I believe this particular thread can be taken at face value and you have attempted to ease the burden on an electrician, I hope I've read the situation correctly and applaude you for asking sensible questions when you did.

We regularly get posts on here from people who think they can do a bit of electrical work and get stuck. They come asking silly questions that should be obvious to most who can handle a screwdriver then when pushed claim their electrician is not available/in hospital/on holiday/yada yada yada. It's totally obvious to us they have no electrician and have no intention of employing one. From their comments we know it will end with a botched job and sometimes even post pictures of the mess they create asking us to put their mind at ease by confirming it's safe etc.

I believe this particular thread can be taken at face value and you have attempted to ease the burden on an electrician, I hope I've read the situation correctly and applaude you for asking sensible questions when you did.

You're correct, my experience in electrics goes as far as changing a fuse in a plug. I'm far too much of a worrier to mess with electrics, I probably wouldn't sleep at night if I did. I'm happy to run the cables as instructed by the electrician as it's a simple run from the loft space in the kitchen extension then straight along a fence to the shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back