Running cable in stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this may sound pretty basic, but advice before I start could reduce problems. I intend extending the power circuit by taking a spur from an existing socket.
What is the easiest method of running a cable horizontally in a stud wall, where it is necessary to pass through veritical studs behind plasterboard? Will I need to cut away the board by the stud to drill through it, or is there some other way??

Sponsored Links
You'll need to install horizontal run in metal conduit, therefore you'll have to cut the board away and patch it.

Vertical drops can be in plastic conduit and may be an easier option.

Mechanical portection is only required if the cable is run outside designated zones ie not between points of connection or diagonally

Extract from NICEIC FAQs

Regulation 522-06-06 permits cables to be concealed in designated zones
without additional mechanical protection. Concealed cables installed outside these zones should either be concealed at a depth of more than 50 mm or mechanical protection should be provided to prevent penetration by screws, nails and the like.
Protection may be provided in a number of ways, as described in Regulation 522-06-07. Either the cable should be protected by an earthed metal conduit, trunking or ducting or the cable should incorporate an earthed metal sheath complying with the requirements for a circuit protective conductor. Alternatively, mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by screws or nails may be used.

Where cables are run in a thin partition wall, which does not provide 50 mm cover on either side one of the following measures should be taken:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back