Horizontal cable in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this may sound pretty basic, but advice before I start could reduce problems. I intend extending the power circuit by taking a spur from an existing socket.
What is the easiest method of running a cable horizontally in a stud wall, where it is necessary to pass through veritical studs behind plasterboard? Will I need to cut away the board by the stud to drill through it, or is there some other way??

Sponsored Links
This is not a recommended way to extend your circuit. Your new outlet should be a continuation of the ring main. Spurs are history! Going horizontal with cables would be ok. but remember they must have some form of protection over the stud (piece of steel plate). :eek:

why are spurs histroy?

afaict there are not regs banning thier use

Since when do horizontal runs have to have mechanical protection, last time I checked with NICEIC it is not required unless it is out of the designated zone

Sponsored Links
Has nothing to do with regs. Just good practice as there is no way to get deep enough to avoid someone putting screw or nail into wall. Probably like me you have been called in to sort such a problem out.

crystal ball said:
Since when do horizontal runs have to have mechanical protection, last time I checked with NICEIC it is not required unless it is out of the designated zone

Well they don't, I know at first glance the OSG seems to say they are, but when you re-read it it's clear you don't. Either my English ain't good or the IEE bods dunno how to write propa ;)

Mind you it is good practice for horz. runs as some diy'ers expect cable runs to be vertical so pull out the black and decker and zap :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back