Running cables in a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to add a socket into my living room and I'd like to conceal the cable. Does anyone know how I can run the cable through the framework of the stud wall. I need to go about 3m along from the existing socket. Does it need to be run in conduit? Also what is the best type of back box to use?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
wiring can go in stud, altho youll have problems gettin direct accross without damage. if your lucky and there are no framework running accross, you can drill a hole directly above the wall and drop a cable down there. otherwise, there will be some damage

Thanks andy, if there was framwork in the way, would this mean remving sections of plasterboard?

Unless you can think of a way to drill holes in the studding behind the plasterboard, yes....

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Unless you can think of a way to drill holes in the studding behind the plasterboard, yes....

yes. flat wood drill bit extensions! bugger to get some trunkin lid down to pull the cable thru tho (only really work if your drillin from directly above the wall to take the cable up

one trick i used on a small section of plasterboard stud wall to add a socket with minimal disruption without disturbining other wiring going into the wall (drilling up from below into the middle of the wall wasn't an option because of existing cables that wen't up and i really didn't wan't to re-do the whole wall) was to take the skirting board off and then cut away sufficiant plasterboard that i could run down to floor level in the gap in the plasterboard and then through a hole into the crawlspace below

then putting the skirting back nicely covered up the gap in the plasterboard that the cable wen't down.

plugwash said:
one trick i used on a small section of plasterboard stud wall to add a socket with minimal disruption without disturbining other wiring going into the wall (drilling up from below into the middle of the wall wasn't an option because of existing cables that wen't up and i really didn't wan't to re-do the whole wall) was to take the skirting board off and then cut away sufficiant plasterboard that i could run down to floor level in the gap in the plasterboard and then through a hole into the crawlspace below

then putting the skirting back nicely covered up the gap in the plasterboard that the cable wen't down.

never thought of that

Nice one Plugwash. Will bear that one in mind, I never thought of it either. Netsidedeveloper, if that aint an option for any reason, remove very small sections of plasterboard and notch studs/noggins.
TS

Trainee Spark Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:10 pm: if that aint an option for any reason, remove very small sections of plasterboard and notch studs/noggins.

Shouldn't he also cover these notches with nailing plates in case he nails through the cable? Or do you mean sink conduit into these notches?

Firkin:cool:

Sorry Firkin, I only gave half the info. What I forgot to mention was that cable should be within permitted routes, i.e vertically or horizontally from accessory.
TS

Thanks TS - not a criticism - just wanted to check if this was still the expected method when notching studs :D

andy said:
ban-all-sheds said:

yes. flat wood drill bit extensions! b*****r to get some trunkin lid down to pull the cable thru tho (only really work if your drillin from directly above the wall to take the cable up
netsidedeveloper said:
I need to go about 3m along from the existing socket.

ban-all-sheds said:
andy said:
ban-all-sheds said:

yes. flat wood drill bit extensions! b*****r to get some trunkin lid down to pull the cable thru tho (only really work if your drillin from directly above the wall to take the cable up
netsidedeveloper said:
I need to go about 3m along from the existing socket.
i said goin up, along then down. not straight accross

Fitted one in a stud wall by notching the studs as mentioned.

I used a router the cut the grooves, stopped 1/2" either side of stud and used wire coat hanger to pass cable between sections. worked like a charm. Use a long router cutter and made several passes, when cable in place insert fillets of timber to fill cuts and finish with filler.

Salem.

Thanks very much everyone, I think I'm going to try the notching out idea.

One more question though, if I am running the cables that close behind the plasterboard, do I need to protect the cable?

Cheers....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back