Running Cables in Metal Web Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any special rules/regs regarding this subject or not as long as the cables are clipped to keep away from the metal webbing :?:

Sponsored Links
To save others googling, I guess we are talking these....

posijoist3.jpg

There are no hard fast rules or regs, but you obviously do need to clip them clear of the steel edges, and should have them 2" from the top and bottom. Some screw cable tie mounts and large cable ties left loose and open to their max would be my preffered method I would think.

You might think that they manufacturers of those joists might have made better provision for sparkies. (mainly to give the '2" from bottom' rule some thought)

I don't have a better idea right now, but faffing around with tie bases/loose ties sounds like PITA :confused:

For running cables at right angles use a bridge made of 1 inch thick timber supported at every 3 or 4 joist with a block of wood to bring the top of the bridge mid way between top and bottom of joists, The bridge passes through the joist clear of any metal. Run the cable(s) along the top of the bridge. Make the bridge wide enough to carry the cables side by side if power (or can be bundled if data).

For running parallel to the joists put bridges between two joists and use these to support a long bridge running parallel to the joists.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician, theyre the ones in question.

Bridge idea sounds like a plan to ensure cables are supported along their run and out of harms way.

all round band?

For running cables at right angles use a bridge made of 1 inch thick timber supported at every 3 or 4 joist with a block of wood to bring the top of the bridge mid way between top and bottom of joists, The bridge passes through the joist clear of any metal. Run the cable(s) along the top of the bridge. Make the bridge wide enough to carry the cables side by side if power (or can be bundled if data).
2" cable tray on mini joist hangers would be ideal for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back