running cables in new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just levelled up my floor joists ready for laying a 25mm plywood subfloor. Before it goes down I need to sort insulation and electric cables.

Im not installing electrics myself but the electrician told me he will 1st fix when the stud wall is in (for walk in wardrobe and rn suite).

The problem I have is I need to lay the subfloor before the stud wall goes in. But because I have noggins between joists the cables cannot be just be slid under the fitted floor.

I cant see the electrician wanting to come for an hour or so to run cables. what options do I have? could i run 2 x twin and earth cables for each socket ready for him, or run conduit with string in place so he can pull cable through?

I want to make sure I get the order right so hes not having to pull up floor when its been put down.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this 2 storey extension, above garage extension, ground floor?

Its hard to visualise the overall project.

I would say call the electrician and ask, it may be easiest if he calls round and tells you what he wants

That's what I did for a room I renovated - confirmed where and how to run the cables then the electrician just finished the job. My single storey extension has all the electrics going into the loft space, if you can do same then it'll be out of the way when the floor goes down.

Is this 2 storey extension, above garage extension, ground floor?

Its hard to visualise the overall project.

I would say call the electrician and ask, it may be easiest if he calls round and tells you what he wants

its an extension over an exisiting garage. the ceiling below is fireline plasterboarded. I was planning on leaving it free for access but because of having a new electric garage door fitting had to get it borded 1st.

There is no loft space as we have left the ceuling vaulted. Presumably I could run 2 twin and earth cables for each socket that in having?

Ill msg my electrician. I was holding off for a bit as hes just had a baby

Sponsored Links
If you know where the sockets are to be situated you could install adequate conduit with 2, (TWO), drawstrings in each one.
The reason for 2 in each is in case he is doing a ring main he may have to pull 1 cable in and 1 cable back out. He should really pull both in together but occasionally this is not the easiest way, so give him an option. The strings can always be pulled out afterwards.

If you know where the sockets are to be situated you could install adequate conduit with 2, (TWO), drawstrings in each one.
The reason for 2 in each is in case he is doing a ring main he may have to pull 1 cable in and 1 cable back out. He should really pull both in together but occasionally this is not the easiest way, so give him an option. The strings can always be pulled out afterwards.

good call with 2 draw strings. didnt think about that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back