Running Electricity to 2 sheds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
would like to run Electricity to 2 sheds, the furthest being about 30 meters away.

will be doing the labor my self than getting an electrician to check and connect

1st shed will house: a freezer
2nd shed will house: a treadmill, laptop, and in the winter an electric heater or oil heater

thinking on 6mm 3core swa cable connected to Type 1 32A Crabtree in the house main fuse-board and run it to a double socket in each shed.

is this the write way to do it or i'm i missing something else?

many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do it the other way round.

Get an electrician first, then he can see the site and tell you how to do the labour.

Be aware that old freezers i.e. those which don't have three phase motors and inverter control, have a high start up amps often around 10A and are easy damaged if the volt drop is exceeded. 32A with 6mm² should be good for around 50 meters. But that is total not as the crow flies.

Better to get electrician first, and do as he directs as already said.

Be aware that old freezers i.e. those which don't have three phase motors and inverter control, have a high start up amps often around 10A and are easy damaged if the volt drop is exceeded. 32A with 6mm² should be good for around 50 meters. But that is total not as the crow flies.

Better to get electrician first, and do as he directs as already said.
the freezer will be at the max 4 to 5 meters away

Sponsored Links
As has been said ... and also be aware that most fridges and many freezers are not suitable for use in unheated outhouses.

Kind Regards, John

and also be aware that most fridges and many freezers are not suitable for use in unheated outhouses.

Kind Regards, John
Yes forgot that, for a unit to maintain 4°C with no heating then clearly the ambient must be above 4°C and for a defrost system to allow the liquid to be removed the tubes must not freeze, so most fridge/freezers, and frost free freezers need around 12°C minimum ambient temperature. In the main for use in a unheated room you have to use chest freezers.

ok, will look at the freezer

what about 6mm 3core swa cable connected to the double sockets, just got this feeling that the 6mm 3core swa might be to big to connect to
double socket?

K2747WHI.jpg

what about 6mm 3core swa cable connected to the double sockets, just got this feeling that the 6mm 3core swa might be to big to connect to double socket?
I would not imagine that your electrician will advise trying to connect SWA directly to a socket - far more likely that it will turn into T+E cable within each of the sheds.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back