Running Power and CAT6 to Garden Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

We would like to run power and ethernet to a recently constructed garden office (actually a log cabin). Distance to the main house is approx 50m. There is a spare 32 amp on the existing consumer unit. The cable run can be partially buried, but would need to be along the bottom edge of fencing gravel boards for the majority of the distance.

Can the cable trunking inside the structure be placed under the floor void? So that only vertical trunking up to the sockets is visible? Or would that not be allowed as it's "concealing" the cable?

ETHERNET

We have a landline which comes into the front bedroom, where the router is situated.
My thinking is that we'd need to install an ethernet socket internally, then connect a patch cable from the router to this socket. On the back of that socket would be the hardwire CAT6 cable connection, which would run straight through the external wall, then down and along, parallel to the power cable. Would that be the best approach?

Considering the above, what would be the rough costs to complete a job like this?

I'm pretty handy with most things, and could do the laying of the cables (if that is allowed), however I'm fully aware that any internal routing and connections would need to be done to building regs, by a qualified electrician. Also, would the work need to be registered with building regs and a fee payable?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Run 2 network cables, you don't need to terminate them both. 50m is a short run with decent cable.

You could place it in conduit in the ground, but probably overkill for a garden office, especially with decent outdoor network cable.

Socket inside with patch cable will be nice and tidy, use decent a quality socket and keystone like excel.

you can get armoured or maybe different coated CAT cable. You probably want this if you want it to last. Or put in conduit

I wouldn't put cables under the shed. rats will chew it

If its not built yet....

cat cable ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cablemonkey do pre-terminated fibre cables to your spec - though it quickly starts getting expensive. From a safety (and immunity from lightning damage) PoV it's the best way, but for a garden shed fed from the same supply then that's not much of a concern.
I also say fit a socket on the wall - it's neater, and terminating an external grade network cable into an "RJ45" plug isn't ideal, though I have done it a few times. BTW - not all plugs are suitable for solid cable, and using the wrong plug will result in an unreliable connection.

I also say fit a socket on the wall - it's neater, and terminating an external grade network cable into an "RJ45" plug isn't ideal, though I have done it a few times. BTW - not all plugs are suitable for solid cable, and using the wrong plug will result in an unreliable connection.
I've never been able to work out why people say adding another box on the wall is neater. That said external CAT6 is way different to a bit of standard CAT5, it can feel like wrestling a garden hose and it can very easily become a case of the tail wagging the dog if it's beuing plugged into a lightweight device like a small router.

Using the correct plugs is very important, for a start solid and stranded plugs have a different number and layout of spikes and then CAT5, 5e & 6 are different diameters and require plugs to match.

I did try CAT6 plugs on external CAT6 and had 2 bad joints in 10 plugs so scrapped the lot and purchaced the right plugs, (High Holburn Maplins of all places at some silly price like £15.99 for 10) they slid straight on the cable and crimped perfectly, just like they were designed for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back