Running power cables between buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I moved into a property where there is a very rough supply to an unattached garage.
Basically its 1x2.5mm and 1x 1.5mm cable running about 2.5m off the ground from the kitchen to the garage - they are then tie wrapped together.

Its not good - the amount of times I have nearly taken it out with a piece of wood, obviously I need this doing correctly, I just need to know the correct method so me and the electrician are on the same page.

Should the cable run underground under the flagstones? if so should it be armoured - or can I use some form of conduit?
I dont see any method of above ground due to the circumstances of the building.

Sponsored Links
Overhead is permitted, but only if the cable is properly supported and is suitable for use outside, and is at a suitable height.

Cables can be underground and would normally be of the armoured type. Non-armoured cable can be used underground in conduit but it would need to be steel conduit or similar and that will cost far more the armoured cable.

Should the cable run underground under the flagstones?
Yes, but not directly under, because of the risk of damage from the flagstones directly, or when someone decides to lift them.

if so should it be armoured
Absolutely.

or can I use some form of conduit?
You might want to put it in ducting to make it easier to replace or add to.

You might like to put in 2 ducts and use one for phone/data.

Bear in mind you may well want a new design, as you currently have 2 cables.

You might like to put in 2 ducts and use one for phone/data.

Bear in mind you may well want a new design, as you currently have 2 cables.
I like your forward thinking
Could a scaffold pole be conduit, or is there a preferred product - thinking of cost, I can get a few poles for free!

Sponsored Links
Scaffold pole as underground conduit:
- how will it be joined together?
- how will a bend/curve be achieved at the ends where it enters/leaves the ground?
- how will it be attached to an outlet box or similar enclosure at the ends?
- the inside will not be properly finished and will very likely cause damage to wires as they are drawn in.
Completely unsuitable.

Scaffold pole as underground conduit:
  1. - how will it be joined together?
  2. - how will a bend/curve be achieved at the ends where it enters/leaves the ground?
  3. - how will it be attached to an outlet box or similar enclosure at the ends?
  4. - the inside will not be properly finished and will very likely cause damage to wires as they are drawn in.
5. - how will it be earthed?​

I'm merely playing devil's advocate here, NOT suggesting that scaffold pole would be in any way suitable for the OP's application, but...

Use of scaffold pole as electrical conduit is considered perfectly normal practice in at least one industry.

View media item 100178
I've installed several similar bars in the last couple of weeks.

Use of scaffold pole as electrical conduit is considered perfectly normal practice in at least one industry. ....
Interesting. Is that just for straight runs, or do you have a means of engineering bends? ... and if you are talking about 'real' scaffold poles, what about the rough inside surface that flameport mentioned?

Kind Regards, John

if you are talking about 'real' scaffold poles, what about the rough inside surface that flameport mentioned?
Gotta put normal 25mm conduit inside :whistle: (joking)

I'm sure you can buy scaffolding poles that don't look like they've been galvanised by the bfg sneezing zinc over them

I'm sure you can buy scaffolding poles that don't look like they've been galvanised by the bfg sneezing zinc over them
Galvanised? I though they were nearly all ally alloys these days? Even 45 or so years ago, when I was known to work on building sites during the summer vacs, a lot of them were.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back