Running power cables between buildings

Interesting. Is that just for straight runs, or do you have a means of engineering bends? ... and if you are talking about 'real' scaffold poles, what about the rough inside surface that flameport mentioned?

Kind Regards, John

As far as I know there is no means of engineering bends on site, but the companies that produce those bars can make curved ones to order. I imagine it requires fairly serious machinery. Usually these days aluminium scaffold pole is used, but older ones were standard galv. steel. I must admit I'm never examined the inside of an old steel one.

Sponsored Links
and with square-pin sockets?

Mostly round pin, although you can specify any sockets you like. Convention for theatre work is round pin 15A for dimmer circuits and either 16A CEEform/Commando or sometimes 13A square pin for non-dim.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Mostly round pin, although you can specify any sockets you like. Convention for theatre work is round pin 15A for dimmer circuits and either 16A CEEform/Commando or sometimes 13A square pin for non-dim.

I'm increasingly seeing 16A ceeform used for lanterns and fixtures, both for hard power and dimmed. For example, point source have changed all their hire stock to 16a. They are a real pain to wire up neatly on a bar, particularly the twofers!! When i hire from them i have to remember to ask for 16/15 adapters to plug into the fixed 15A outlets in the grid.

Thank you for this, all laid - another question;

The outbuilding/garage will house a few lights and dryer and some sockets - I am fitting inside it some form of fused isolation probably a small consumer unit which will link to a the main consumer unit which has a switch just labelled garage; so to get from the main consumer unit to the exterior before going underground can I fix square conduit to the underneath of floorboards to make a fixed channel for cables and easy installation - as apposed to dropping them on the dirt or nailing underneath floorboards.

I also wish to put the cooker and kitchen cables through it.

Its a 5m run but hours of work just to run cables @ electricians rates will be pricey so just thought I could be the labourer in an 18" crawl space.

I'm sure your electrician will be happy not to be crawling under a floor.

But ask him - you cannot morally ask him to tell the council that he did all of the work unless you agree up-front what labouring you will do.

I don't understand. Flame didn't say cable duct was a no-no. In fact, he recommended cable duct.
He did, but the quoting process removed the previous quote ("a scaffold pole?") to which flameport had answered "No"- and it was in response to that "No" that winston posted "Why not?".

Kind Regards, John

never examined the inside of an old steel one.
I just have - my wood lathe uses scaffold tube for the bed. There's a very rough welded seam running down it. I certainly wouldn't want to run single-insulated cables in it, and not sure about insulated & sheathed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back