Running ring main in loft conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of a loft conversion and as no flooring is down I was going to run the ring main though the upstairs myself. I've received different advise as to whether I have to run the cables through the joists or if I can utilise the eve spaces to the side of the loft that are closed in.
Will I have to use oval PVC conduit even though it will be behind the partition wall.

Sponsored Links
the problem with a ring main is that it is not supposed to be used on an area greater than 100 square metres. so if your total floor (and loft floor) space is under this you will be ok.

Also consideration should be taken where fibreglass is concered because as the cable will not be in free air spave the rating goes down.

As for trunking unless you are going to plaster it in i would not bother that is unless you put it through a joist then i would use steel conduit. suppose you forget its there at a later date and put a nail in

always run the cables up or down a wall to the socket never diagonaly or horizontaly

Thanks for the info.

I've got space in the consumer unit so it will be a new ring for upstairs. When I have to wire along the joists I will be tacking to them under the floor (6 in joists so i have plenty of room) but when I was going across the joists I hoped to use the back of the partition walls. So the cables will be at plug hight but tacked to the back of a partition wall. Wanted to keep it easy to access and not drill all though my nice new joists but don't want to do all the work and have the DS make me wire it all under the flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back