Loft Electrics - PVC Conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Can anyone advise me on the following.
I want to run a 5 double socket ring main from the CU to new loft conversion(bungalow) - Have got a load of 20mm plastic conduit with "T"s and bends + securing saddles. (From Screwfix)

Can I run 2 lengths of 2.5 T&E in this conduit. - obviously in the parts where double cable is required. (Floor area is less than 100m sq)

Will this conduit also be ok to run the light switch cables inside 100mm stud walls.

Found some info on another post about cable capacity factors in conduit, but maths was never my strong point at school so it went completely over my head

Any advise mucho appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
conduit was designed for singles not t & e conduit is also only for mechanical protection, (not that plastic gives it much) so why make life harder?

Also, the maths for working out conduit factors is pretty simple - just addition and multiplication - at the risk of howls of outrage, if you can't do sums like that then you probably shouldn't be doing electrical work...

Why are you using conduit anyway?

HI, USED THE CONDUIT TO RUN A CABLE OUTSIDE AND ALSO TO DO ME GARAGE, JUST TO MAKE IT LOOK NEATER. GOT LOADS OF IT LEFT SO THOUGHT COULD USE IN THE LOFT. OR JUST CLIP EVERYTHING TO BEAMS ETC, WITH CABLE CLIPS. MY MATHEMATICS AINT THAT BAD - TOO MANY FORMULA'S AND DIFFERENT RATINGS JUST BAFFLED ME.

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST FOR LIGHTING CABLE TO SWITCH'S IN 100MM STUD WALLS - DOWN INSIDE OR CLIPPED TO WALL AND COVERED WITH TRUNKING AND PLASTER.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP PEOPLE. :LOL:

please do not type in capitals, it is considered shouting

Sponsored Links
If you must use conduit, get singles for the job, and consider using 4mm2, not 2.5 if it is a long run. But then you have to consider "will 4 x 4mm and 2x 2.5mm conductors fit in my conduit and leave a spacing factor of 45% etc etc etc.....??????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back