cable conduit regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding when to use conduit, the regs and also best practice if that goes beyond the regs-

Running some 1.5 and 2.5 T&E cable, are there any conduit requirements for the space between a plasterboard ceiling and the floorboards? (The 2.5s will be on RCBO circuits, the 1.5s on reguar MCBs.) I don't see any advantage for pulling through, as there would be have to be multiple bends. I'm aware any holes in the joists must be 2" below floor level.

And in the walls, do RCBO protected circuits still need earthed conduit or would pvc do?

Last one, for getting it professionally inspected will they need to actually see all the cabling between the points?
Thanks for any guidance

Sponsored Links
Cables/conduit through joists would fall under Building Regs (IIRC) and I can't remember what they say.

PVC conduit is fine in the wall unless the circuit(s) aren't RCD/RCBO protected.

Professionally inspected? I don't understand this bit. Are you installing it now and hoping a sparky will come & sign it off for you? Because you need to find someone willing to do that before you start so that they can instruct you on cable runs etc. But generally yes, they will want to see the cabling between points.

One final thing, T+E isn't exactly designed for conduit; that's what conduit singles are for. Can I ask why you're shoving everything in conduit?

Cables/conduit through joists would fall under Building Regs (IIRC) and I can't remember what they say.

PVC conduit is fine in the wall unless the circuit(s) aren't RCD/RCBO protected.

Professionally inspected? I don't understand this bit. Are you installing it now and hoping a sparky will come & sign it off for you? Because you need to find someone willing to do that before you start so that they can instruct you on cable runs etc. But generally yes, they will want to see the cabling between points.

One final thing, T+E isn't exactly designed for conduit; that's what conduit singles are for. Can I ask why you're shoving everything in conduit?
Hi, as I said I wouldn't see any point in conduit underfloor, I just wasn't sure if any daft new regs have come in with the latest batch. It's notifiable work which I'm doing myself, hence the inspection, and I'm using t&e because it's what I'm used to and the standard for a domestic install last I heard. Not my first rewire, just the first under stricter regulation.

Sponsored Links
It's notifiable work which I'm doing myself, hence the inspection.
And you have notified it in advance, described how you will ensure that the work complies with P1, and the inspections etc are all agreed with, or to be done by, the council?

It's notifiable work which I'm doing myself, hence the inspection.
And you have notified it in advance, described how you will ensure that the work complies with P1, and the inspections etc are all agreed with, or to be done by, the council?

There's a chap coming round in a couple of days with his little clipboard before I can actually start, I assume we'll set the rest of the schedule then.

I've done my own electrics and plumbing for a long time, still have all my fingers and my feet are dry. I'm going to keep doing them however many hurdles the council try to put in my way.

There's a chap coming round in a couple of days with his little clipboard before I can actually start, I assume we'll set the rest of the schedule then.

I've done my own electrics and plumbing for a long time, still have all my fingers and my feet are dry. I'm going to keep doing them however many hurdles the council try to put in my way.

I'd just like to point out (for your benefit and anyone else who's planning on doing the same) that because you haven't lost your fingers/hands/life doesn't mean your installs are safe (not saying they aren't). Under fault conditions any problem could be catastrophic. Are you testing it or are the council sending someone to do that?

I'd just like to point out (for your benefit and anyone else who's planning on doing the same) that because you haven't lost your fingers/hands/life doesn't mean your installs are safe (not saying they aren't). Under fault conditions any problem could be catastrophic. Are you testing it or are the council sending someone to do that?

They arrange to pull the company fuse and then I have to pay to have a full inspection before the buggers will put it back in again. And the full inspection will find nothing my trusty set of Robin meters won't.

There's nothing wrong with my work, and I'll tell you what, the kind of person who is jumping through all these legal hoops to do what they've done before is generally not going to be the kind of person these regulations are worrying about. I bet most people who know how just whip the fuse out and get on with it, and I absolutely guarantee the moron who reads my meter doesn't know what a seal is. It's reaching the stage where it would actually be cheaper to go and sit through an expensive course to get qualified than to do a bit of DIY in my own home. The council should offer a free competence check if they want to play silly buggers, charge double to the sods that fail it.

edit: those words that got translated into lots of stars really aren't as bad as the stars imply. My Grandma said bugger all the time. God rest her.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back