Running services up garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need to run hot water, cold water and electric from my house to the top of my garden, guessing say 30 meters. I was going to get creative and run this via battons connected to a fence to merge with another project. I think this would work well and very little likelihood of damage but i have a question.

Ive seen blue pipe used for water and so on, but what would the smallest diameter of pipe i could use to transport 3 seperate pipes of services through such a batton. The diameter will affect the depth of said battons.

Water is for future proofing so no immediate need but assuming it will be just basic handwashing. Electric could be for tvs etc etc.

Suggestions welcomed thank you.

Sponsored Links
Running “hot water” up there is not something you should be considering at all!

Power: yes
Cold main: yes

You will also need waste drainage for whatever facilities you are thinking of having up there.

Along a fence against a batten :eek:
Power possibly, water: no.

Much of your proposed services will require notification and approval by Building Control.

Suggest you do some reading up on garden offices and the like.

If your water is likely to be used for drinking then the pipe needs to be buried a minimum of 750mm deep underground

Surely it would make sense to heat the water when it’s up there rather than heat is and send it down a 30m pipe?

Sponsored Links
Power needs to be fixed to a permanent structure, suitably protected against damage e.g. Conduit or UV stable cable with cable supports. You'll also have to calculate the disconnection times for the cable to make sure it's safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back