Running Vertical Cables In Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice guys.

I need to run a 2.5mm Final Ring Circuit & two 1.5mm Lighting Circuits cables vertically in plaster from the top of a chased out plastered wall to a depth of 10-12mm half way down the wall and then run the cable directly through the wall where it will be connected to a consumer unit on the opposite side of the wall.

If I protect the cables with metal shielding will I need to connect the shielding to an earth cable, if so what size(s) and can the shielding be looped together with only one earth cable returning to the earthing point or do they all need to have an individual earthing cable.

Never considered the above to be a problem until I realised that where the cables drop down vertically stands a high chance of being penetrated by a nail or such like, as there is no obvious connection or switch/socket which would indicate that there is a cable(s) running in the wall.

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Not according to the regs, they state that any metallic protection must be earthed (reg 522-06-06).

Remember that these cables will not be connecting to anything on the wall, they just run vertically down it then through it and into another room, there is nothing to give any indication that there are cables in the wall.

Sponsored Links
an easy soloution if you can find a source locally would be to get some 4mm split con (i don't think they do any smaller sizes in split con). Perfectly fine for direct burial outside the zones and easilly enough current rating for all the uses you propose.

heres a pic
0030.jpg

notice how the live conductor is completely surrounded by the neutral and earth conductors making it suitable for use outside the zones and unlike SWA it does not need any special glands to terminate.

finding a supplier online seems a bit tricky though, a google search turned up http://www.meteorelectrical.com/catalog/898 but they seem a little pricey and they aren't a supplier i've ever used before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back