running wall over sewage pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im going to installing a sewage drain in to the extention,
should it be run in down from the foundations, and filled in together with the foundation?
or should i place it once the foundations have been filled 6 brick courses below external ground and run the walls over the pipe? it which case would i need to place a steel lintal over it?

Sponsored Links
building regs made me put a lintel over it,your inspecter should tell you what he wants you to do,that way you can not go wrong

Would it not depend on the level of the manhole your connecting into.. if its 2m down then you will hit foundations, if its high then you can pass through the brickwork.. work out its level in comparrison to the foundations and go from there..

eaither way would i need to place a lintel over the entry of pipe.

Sponsored Links
static, thanks for you reply but what do you mean by sleeve it through the footing?
do you mean to say if it sewage runs through the footing then i should fill the footing with concrete? would it be ok do that? my worry is; would it give way to the weight of the concrete fill + the build on top.

sorry to sound thick, but dont have much experiance in the build world.

excellent, i'll be needing more in for on this. will google it.
anyother hints and tips for problems that i may not know of?

are these sleeve things readily available at the merchants? ive google searched them to no avail.....

The thing you need to consider when building anything near or upon drains is that the building should never have an influence on the performance of the drains.

This means taking all necessary precautions regards the push of the foundations when they are near or built over to the drain pipes.

What ever way you protect them, the methods used need to be inspected and approved by building control.

Drains are fickle, particularly those with shallow falls and are powered simply by gravity. This makes them easily bu99ered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back