Russian Oak - Any Good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come across this store and like the look of their prices. Their eBay store states the oak is from Russia.

Is this likely to be in any way inferior to say French or British Oak? Any reason why the price is so much smaller for 18mm wide boards than most other retailers?

Sponsored Links
"Grades 80% A & B 20% Grade C"

That's why.
And of course the 'random length': willing to bet it's random short, shorter and shorts

I've had a look at this product close up 'cause I don't work too far away from their warehouse.

The display stand they show it looks ok, however, the lenghts are short averaging 90,70,60,35cm.

What was confusing was that they sell this from a 'transport haulage company' not what I would of thought as being a flooring company.

Apart from the lenghts the product looked ok. I opened a box and all seemed fine.

I'm not a wood expert- just someone looking to put down a wood floor like yourself. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you the difference between Russian Oak and English Oak soon.

regards

Sponsored Links
English Oak is rather different than other European Oak. And rather expensinve, not much used for flooring nowadays, more for furniture.

Russian Oak, like Polish and other East European Oak has a slightly different appearance than West-European Oak. All down to the difference in climate the tree has grown in.

Many short lengths mean many joins. And the reason why it's cheaper than others - besides the grade they're selling. Grade C can have cracks, splits, damages and open knots from 6cm onwards.
so in fact they can use a lot from a tree, parts normal manufacturers wouldn't use in their products.

Be also aware of width differences with this type of 'offers'. And what's the service from them if something is wrong: a haulage company?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back