Rust on steel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this old stove which we removed from our house. I think it's regular steel not cast iron though it weighs a ton (I can barely lift it).
We put it outside for a bit and of course that's when the rain came, while we were busy elsewhere.

So now it looks like this:
upload_2020-6-11_14-35-25.png

We're not sure what we're going to do with it but it's sad to see - not tried anything yet, what would be best? Can I get the rust off or does it have to be painted?

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Its more likely to be cast iron the shape it is but with better puctures it would be easier to tell. If you intend using it you need to test the seems for leaks with a smoke match or bomb. If its leaking it should really be dismantled as thats the safest way of restoring .
Cast iron is fairly easily sprused up by wire brushing followed by zebrite paste
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hotspot-Black-Stove-and-Grate-Polish-Zebo-Zebrite-75ml-/332927744534
Thanks. It was removed because it basically got condemned, due to being improperly fitted and then we got a new one that was easier to sweep.

So this one will either be given away or sold (assume ot cost a few bob new but no idea), or we might turn it into an outdoor stove if I can get a pipe... no cares with leaking outside! If it was outside it'd have a cover but it's clearly not really designed for that.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back