Buying a stove by accident

image.jpg
Back of the #3, no crack I think just a rust stain from the flu.
Ray K

what about this one?
litl

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It probably is a thermal crack, and believe it or not it doesn't have to go right through the metal.....cast iron can be malleable to a degree.
That's why the top 'lid' of the stove needs to be allowed to float, i.e not bolted down too tightly.
I've seen this before, and there has been no smoke leakage to the outside but I'd always sure a CO detector was used in the room.
John :)

No, I honestly don't think so......cracks can appear in cast iron later if it's allowed to cool to quickly, and a stove environment is pretty hostile - being heated and cooled many times in it's life. I've seen this before, much worse than yours - and there was no escape of fume. Epoxy putties are available for severe cracks, and yours seems negligible.

If what we can see there is the full extent of the crack (if indeed it is one) I'd forget all about it.
The white stuff is likely to be high temperature silicone sealer.

A rope seal is typically around 8mm in diameter - and it needs a corresponding groove for the rope to sit in. I can't see a large groove in your flue outlet which is maybe why they expect you to rely on fireclay cement or high temperature silicone.

Couple of bad spots of rust.

1. The underside of the stove - clearly leave it out in the garden didn't do it any good.
https://goo.gl/photos/WT8ex69X9nRs6orr8

2. Toe of the one of the legs.
https://goo.gl/photos/xpS47fJfazjH7FFQA

I was just going to wire brush the underside and spray down with WD40, and leave as is.
Would like to tidy up the leg a bit, but the stove is enamel so it is tricky.

Any tips?

Ray K

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back