Freezing Cold due to Woodburning/Multifuel Stove handle faulty and rope messed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. Sorry I couldn't find any category to post this on, so I'm posting in the General DIY category.

We've got a Dunsley Highlander 5 Slimline stove (multifuel) which has been working great for the last 5 years. However over the last couple of weeks, the stove has been struggling to light up properly with flames going out very quickly and when it lights up the flames are really fast and wood burns quickly. So I got the chimney/flue checked - The flue is fine and clear with no soot.

So I checked online and found that the issue could be either the rope or handle.

The rope looked reasonably okay, so the next thing I did was to try and tighten the handle nut in the hope that it would close the door and press the rope tightly.

However whilst trying to do this, I've made matters worse as I've accidently damaged the rope and the handle. The rope is now ripped and the handle just spins. I also cannot open the nut in order to remove the handle as it's jammed.

I know I can easily replace the rope by buying a rope kit, but can you please give me any advise on what to do with the handle which I'm struggling to remove or repair?

We're desperate because our living room is freezing cold without this.

Here's the stove description and a photo of what the stove and handle exactly look like:-

highlander_5_solo_sg_slimline_2-600x758.jpg

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Feel around the handle boss......isn't there a grub screw to tighten?
John :)
Hi and thanks very much for your reply and assistance John.

There's no screw, but there's a nut on the inside of the door handle that's not opening or tightening and the handle is also loosely spinning around as there is a couple of millimetres gap. I've done the following diagram in Microsoft Word to hopefully help you understand the layout and style:-

1699818843209.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Excellent diagram thanks!
I don’t suppose the complete door can be lifted up, off from its peg hinges?
John

Thanks very much for the compliment, I tried my best, haha :)

Yes I believe I can take the door off it's pegs by using a straight screwdriver to wedge it off. Why? I'm now very curious as to what you were you thinking off doing.

When you crank the exterior handle......can you see the inner bar moving, or has the handle detached from the bar that connects them somehow?
John

When you crank the exterior handle......can you see the inner bar moving, or has the handle detached from the bar that connects them somehow?
John

Yes, I can see the bar moving along with the catch/latch

Have I got this right.....it’s impossible to open the door?
John

No, you've got this wrong. The door opens fine, but I was referring to take door totally off by removing it's pegs.

Ah I see.
The usual method is to swing the door open fully, and then it just lifts off it's hinge pegs.
Is this not the case?
John :)

Morning John. Hope your good.

I'm not too sure about that. From looking at the door hinges, it seems that I can simply lever the pegs out with something like a straight-edged screwdriver. Anyway, to assist you, here's a link to the photo/video album of the stove and I hope this helps.

Stove album

Looking at the images, I think that the 'locking plate pusher spring' (my made up term) has snapped.
It pushes the locking mechanism out, and keeps the handle next to the door.

This not the correct item, but is what it might have looked like.

Sfk

And you can see the spring in this image for a Dunsley Highlander handle....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi @SFK - Thanks very much for the info and links. I did suspect that it's some issue with the washer or spring, but the problem is that I can't even take off the handle as the nut (circled in red) is jammed.

IMG_20231113_085050.jpg

I do feel that the plate is bent - but not sure.
If you cannot get the nut off with a long spanner, then it might have to be a hack saw and a new handle.

A pole on the handle - to stop that turning, a socket and ratchet or spanner, again with a pole if necessary, it will undo with enough force. Might be safer for you with two people, one on each pole to prevent any pressure being exerted on the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back