Rusty RSJ under bay window floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've not posted much/at all/ this may even be my first post (certainly in working memory)

Currently renovating our living room (1930s house) and spotted a rather rusty RSJ supporting the floor that runs into the bay!

The one side looks worse than the other, I'll try to get in to give it a wire brush tomorrow and see what flakes away.

Any advice as to whether to leave it alone or might it need replacing?

Thanks in advance

Will

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_221227.jpg
    IMG_20190718_221227.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20190718_221205.jpg
    IMG_20190718_221205.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 247
Sponsored Links
For what it would cost I would replace it anyway. If it did fail it looks like your floor in the bay would sag but nothing major.

Thanks for the advice folks. In the end I got a new 9ft 5x3 steel beam (£65 from a local supplier).

Took the old one out and there's more rust there than I'd like to leave for another 60 yrs.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_214359.jpg
    IMG_20190722_214359.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
did you paint it?

looks like damp and condensation all over, but water dripping or leaking onto that bad bit.

as above - its a pretty damp area so hopefully you've inserted either a bit of DPC material below the bearing ends of the new RSJ or wrapped the ends in a strong plastic wrap.
why not go below and probe the joist tails where they seat in brick pockets - look for decay.
try and find the cause or causes of the damp.
if you think its worth it then why not post a pic of the ground level at the bay?

good job you ignored the idiotic, trying to be smart comment about "60 years"?

good job you ignored the idiotic, trying to be smart comment about "60 years"?

so hopefully you've inserted either a bit of DPC material below the bearing ends of the new RSJ

Lol.

Mushy bearings, mushy brains, same thing.

But on a positive note, at least that's given me something to do this weekend. Going around the house replacing all steel work with a bit of rust on them.... not forgetting the all important bit of DPC material under the bearings of course (y)

Thanks for your input. Invaluable.

Lol.

Mushy bearings, mushy brains, same thing.

But on a positive note, at least that's given me something to do this weekend. Going around the house replacing all steel work with a bit of rust on them.... not forgetting the all important bit of DPC material under the bearings of course (y)

Thanks for your input. Invaluable.

Aww cmon captain sercastic :D

Even you couldn't say that steel wasn't needing changed

:LOL:

Presumably the corroded end was built into brickwork?
If so, it suggests it may have been permanently damp; over time, mortar goes very gradually acidic and any mortar near the beam will cause it
to corrode more rapidy than normal.
As Woods correctly implied, steel beams can survive many years if just left unpainted and subject to normal atmospheric rusting, particularly inside a building.
There is a figure for the rate of conversion of the steel to oxide per year (can't remember it) but there is almost always plenty of metal left and usually
it is only a problem for our great-great-great-etc.....grandchildren.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back