S/H French Doors in extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been offered a pair of double glazed UPVC wood stain external French Doors for an extension for which I have planning permission.
Not sure of age, 10-15 years?
Not sure if they satisfy current regs.
How can I check to see if they do?
Seals and glazing thickness are the factors at a guess.

Sponsored Links
Check with BC officer they will know for sure, or you could just risk it and then replace the glass if they spot it as a issue.

u value of 1.6 is required via DG units minimum air gap of 16mm.
So I need to check the thickness of the existing glazing air gap, 6mm or 12mm or thicker.
So any new units maybe thicker and may not fit into the existing rebate.
assuming BC check this.

Check there are safety marks on the corners of the DGU's. Safety glass aside, is it worth the faff? You will be having to make the brick-work suit the door rather than the other way around. Have they got trickle vents? There will be zero guarantees with the units. Are they a conventional 2100mm tall?

I know what I'd do.

Sponsored Links
If the extension was started after October of last year the windows and doors will also need to be document Q security rated with laminated glass too. Very few modern doors meet this reg, They have to be ordered specifically.

The extension has not been started, so thanks for the update on the regs, BC said nothing about that though.
I passed on the doors, be a pain to store them until I need them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back