S/Tapping Screw prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a full weekend and a lot of frustration (to say the least) due to gobbledygook manufacturer instructions, finally finished putting up a metal shed in the garden.
I`ve now got a shed that looks good and seems fairly robust but there are a lot of Self Tapping screws protruding into the shed that are an accident just waiting to happen (most likely to my wife).
Anyone got any hints on how I can cover the screw tips?

Sponsored Links
You could maybe position some timber strips for the screws to locate into, Mick.....or maybe replace the self tappers with pop rivets? A bit less vicious!
John :)

Thanks for the reply John.

The timber was my first thought and in the absence of anything else I think I`ll go for that which will also be useful for hanging hooks on etc.

Thanks. :)

Just something that may speed the job up......offer up timber strips so the self taps leave their mark, then drill the marked holes oversize so they cover the screws.
Then fix the timber with other screws to hold it in place.
I guess it all depends on how many self taps there are!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The best part of sixty screws. The real problem ones are at head height and waist height where the horizontal supporting rails for the shed are.

Thanks for your help.

How about?

Using something like side cutter pliers, cut off most, but not all of the protruding screw points.

Find some dome headed nuts and fit the nuts onto the stub ends of the cut screws.

This will reduce the danger from the sharp points and replace them with rounded ends.

Only difficulty is getting enough thread left on the inside that will allow the fitting of the dome headed nuts.

Might work and keep things safe.

Ken

Angle grinder will take them down in seconds, but should not be any protruding if assembled correctly.

I put up a large-ish metal shed for someone earlier this year (very tedious and slow job!!) and it came with a big bag of small rubber caps to go on the screws on the inside, are you sure you haven't got any?

Thanks for all the tips (scuse the pun).
I`m going for the simpler option of blanking the sharp ends with thin (10mm ish) bands of wood.

Box iron design is where you start. Then the screws are concealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back