Kitchen Papered, now shrinking and lifting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I papered my kitchen this weekend, and did a sterling job, or so I thought.

24 hours after finishing, the odd seem started to show; its very dark paper over a light pained wall, so it's quite obvious. Now 48 hours on, many more seems are showing and the paper is lifting quite badly. If I pull the paper where its starting to lift, it comes away very easily.

I am resigning myself to the fact that I'm going to have to redo this weekend, but before I do I want some advice on a couple of areas where I think I went wrong.

Firstly, I didn't do any wall preparation. I didn't think I needed to as the walls were painted 7 months ago with a matt finish emulsion, which is fairly rough to the touch. But now I'm thinking that this is the kitchen, so the walls could be greasy?

Secondly, the paste I was using was from a packet of Solvite I bought a couple of years ago that I keep in the shed. Could this be out of date (I couldn't find any expiry dates), or maybe affected by previous cold snaps?

When papering I followed the manufacturers instructions, soaking the paper and waiting 5 mins before hanging. The paper manufacturer is A.S. Creation, and its expanded vinyl. I mixed the paste to the thickness required for Blown Vinyl. I think this is correct.

Final question, if I am able to peel off the paper and it remains intact. Will I be able to re-paste and re-hang (once the wall is correctly prepared)? Or will I be better off purchasing more roles and starting afresh?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't paper a kitchen ffs. Just paint it.

Solvite doesn't go off and can be used years later. It sounds like the paste wasn't quite thick enough or maybe there wasn't enough on the paper/edges. I would have used a ready mixed adhesive.
As Joe has stated, Paper isn't really the best option for kitchens, unless its large and the paper is away from the steam/cooker etc.
If you get the paper off in one piece you wont be able to re use it to be fair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Robbie. Paste was correct thickness and edges had plenty. Been papering myself for 20+ years and never had this happen. Will look for a stronger adhesive when I redo and just test on one wall.

Going to wash the wall down with sugar soap spay, give it a good rub with sand paper and coat the wall in some watered down paste before I start. Hopefully that will solve my problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back