SABs & Battery Packs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We all know that the gel batteries in an alarm panel should be replaced at regular intervals but what about the battery packs in SABs?

I know that these are a different battery technology (usually NiCAD or NiMH) as opposed to the lead acid types used for panel backup and are usually soldered in but they must have a service life?

Does anybody routinely replace the module/entire bell box after a certain number of years?

On a slighty differnt note, I have an Elmdene 7422-EN SAB module on my desk, most of the connections are obvious, but two are not so:

H- Negative hold off
H+ Positive hold off
BAT- Flying negative lead from internal battery pack
FAULT ? internal self test failure, I guess. Does this switch to +ve or -ve?
REM TST ? Remote test ?
ENG Hold off - by-pass tamper when engineer on site so that cover can be removed without triggering siren
TR ? Tamper return to panel
TS ? Tamper source ? normally connected to H- but could be connected inline with H- of another SAB?
R- -ve trigger
ST- -ve trigger strobe.

Also, what is the purpose of the small wire loop to the left of the LED?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For the benefit of anyone searching the forum in the future.....

The consensus from other forums is:

i). Nobody routinely replaces a SAB module/battery pack after a set number of years. Most are left in service until they fail.

ii). Almost all engineers will test the SAB by dropping the hold-off voltage & allowing the unit to sound from its own battery - some will do this for the full 15/20mins others will do it for 5min or so - if the siren is still sounding at its initial rate after 5min they regard the battery as fine.

The 7422-EN module ....

TR is tamper return.
TS is tamper source.

The wire link connects -H to TS. Fine for a single siren install but needs to be cut for a twin siren install to allow the tampers to be connected in series.

Haven't worked out REM TST or FAULT ....... yet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back