safe amps for choc blocks to sockets? (removing metal box)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have several old sockets on my skirting boards, which are covered by a plastic cover. I would like to remove these if possible to get the skirting nice and flush again.

The follow image shows whats under the plastic coverings.

View media item 23848
Unfortunately the wires are live (tested it with a multi meter). The metal box in the image just sticks out enough that I can't get a flush finish.

I am hoping to be able to remove the metal box, and instead join the wires using a chocolate box (properly insulated from each other, power off at mains etc), however I'm not sure what amp choc box I should use? The local hardware store sells 15 amps, however I suspect I'll need 30 amps?

Many thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate, but you can't do that.

You can't have concealed cables with no indication that they're there - the backbox with a blanking plate counts as an accessory and thus creates 'safe zones' around it - ie it's obvious that there are cables buried around it.

That said, you can't have cables hidden behind skirting board anyway...

To do a proper job you'll need to completely remove these cable runs - it might not be as difficult as you'd think!

You cannot just bury the live wires. They will still be live and dangerous.

If you need to remove the sockets the best method is to pull up your floorboards and run new cable. If you must make a join then it has to be PERMANENT. That means proper insulated crimps and then the whole joint needs to be sleeved over with heatshrink sleeving.
An alternative would be solder.

If junction boxes, or terminal block (choc block) are used these must be in an enclosure and the joint must be accessible.

EDIT Curses, too slow!!

That said, you can't have cables hidden behind skirting board anyway...
You can have them running horizontally behind skirting if the sockets are mounted on it, or vertically behind it if there are sockets above.

Morty - do you want to get rid of the sockets completely, or just have them higher up the walls? If the latter, and if you can't get at them under the floors to replace them (you really should try), then sink a box into the wall behind the skirting board and crimp extensions on to run up the wall to the new position.

Use a tool like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one like this:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Sponsored Links
The follow image shows whats under the plastic coverings.

View media item 23848
I do wonder, what kind of connectors are these? I havent seen them before. It looks like the ring has been extended - are there two cables up, two down?

Have the sockets already been repositioned higher then the skirting?

Either way, the blanks must be maintained as blanks.

Something like this catch you?

White flat screwless faceplates

I do wonder, what kind of connectors are these? I havent seen them before. It looks like the ring has been extended - are there two cables up, two down?

[/quote]

The connectors look similar to that of a cooker outlet plate.

How are the other sockets in the room fitted?
Skirting board or further up the wall?

Can you not just fit new sockets over the boxes?
Of course, you would need to investigate how the room has been wired, before fitting sockets, in case some of the wiring is not as you would expect it to be. A pair of cables may prove to be a direct spur for example.
Steve has already pointed out that the picture suggests the ring has been extended, so at this point you probably can't just join all four cables into the back of a socket.

Alternatively, it may prove simpler to partially rewire the circuit, if there is nowhere to join the cables.

sparkwright can you alter that post and delete the quote? It gets bothersome when people excesively quote long posts.

2 gang version is available, and within easy reach of that link. ;)

No it isn't.
Yes, it is. At the VERY TOP of the page is a link to HERE, where you will find the vast array of premium white flat plate accessories offered by TLCdirect.co.uk.

Having trouble with the old vision tonight holmslaw? Should've gone to specsavers mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back