Safe to use power tools in garage?

Oh that's a good question as i don't have one. Highest power item is the 3kw kettle. I can measure the pssc again when i get the chance as i can't really remember accurately, then you can calculate from that for any theoretical load.
Indeed.
Who knows what would happen if i tried to take the full 80A or whatever.
WEll, with the alleged maximum TN-C-S Ze of 0.35 (presumably at the origin of an installation), you would get a drop ('an additional drop' of 28V - so I suppose the answer (for TN-C-S) would be 'no more than a 28V drop'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ours is tn-s at the head but i think from memory the Ze is about 0.25 since they replaced the cutout. Anyway I'm still not sure whether i should have dimming lights or not?

Fair enough i thought you were worried about dinning the neighbours lights being a concern, but who knows which part is too thin.
It wasn't me who was 'worried'. I mentioned that DNOs got concerned about loads with very large start-up currents causing neighbours' lights to dim/flicker (hence 'complaints' that the DNO had to investigate) - and I imagine that it's true for a fairly high proportion of installations that the lion's share of the pre-cutout impedance (i.e. Ze) is attributed to the distribution cables, rather than the cable from it that is feeding the actual installation.

It's theoretically a bit worse with my house, since my two immediate neighbours (whose 'houses' were part of mine up to 1950) share with me the 'final run' of supply cable - but at least it's in what looks like 16mm² singles, which could be worse.

Kind Regards, John

Ours is tn-s at the head but i think from memory the Ze is about 0.25 since they replaced the cutout. Anyway I'm still not sure whether i should have dimming lights or not?
Well, that obviously depends upon the magnitude of you're vacuum cleaner's start-up current and how sensitive your lights are to voltage fluctuations. With a Ze of 0.25Ω, a, say, 50A start-up current should drop your voltage (very briefly) by 12.5V - but I can't say what that would do to your lights.

For what it's worth, speaking for my place, I've never noticed any lights dimming or flickering when anything 'started up' (and I think that my Ze is {thanks to neighbours TN-C-S and bonding, not my TT :) } also around 0.25Ω).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
With a Ze of 0.25Ω, a, say, 50A start-up current should drop your voltage (very briefly) by 12.5V
Let's not confuse the Ze/pefc and the pssc, although they are almost certainly the same in a tn-c-s and similar in a tn-s they aren't quite the same thing.

But your overall point makes sense. With modern led fittings it shouldn't be noticeable, actually the room i was doing the diy with the mitre saw and vac had an old CFL which died recently, and a dodgy looking led Spot light, both in a SES fitting.

Let's not confuse the Ze/pefc and the pssc, although they are almost certainly the same in a tn-c-s and similar in a tn-s they aren't quite the same thing.
Indeed, and I'm not confusing anything - that's why I've been specifically talking about TN-C-S throughout. With TN-S there is no corresponding rule of thumb that allows one to estimate what one might call Z(L_N) (i.e. supply voltage divided by your 'pscc' {not 'pssc' :)} )from the allegedly 'maximum TN-S Ze'.
But your overall point makes sense. With modern led fittings it shouldn't be noticeable ...
I think that rather depends upon what sort of 'modern LED fittings' you're talking about. In the case of cheap and nasty (and maybe some expensive!) LED lamps/bubs that use just a capacitor for current control, one might expect them to flicker much more readily in response to fluctuations in supply voltage than would be the case with good-old incandescent bulbs!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back