Safe Use of Low Watt Radiators on an Extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of safety advice on connecting heaters through an extension lead.

From reading through other posts on the forum, there seems to be a general rule that extensions should not be used to supply power to a heater. However, in our hall, I need to plug in a telephone and a 0.7kw oil filled panel heater and we only have a single power outlet available.

I read that as a general rule a 13amp extension can take 3000w of appliances. I'm a bit confused as the heater is 0.7kw but has a 13 amp fuse on it, so would that be the only appliance I could plug into the 13 amp extension, or would it be safe to plug other electrical items in as long as they don't exceed the 3000w?

I just don't want to take any risks as the heaters are left on all the time and we have 4 of them throughout the house and as they are left on overnight during the winter to provide background warmth, I just want to make 100% sure I understand what I am allowed to do.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Ideally you change the single outlet socket for a double.

Many extension leads are poorly made so best to keep the loads below 1 KW or so. The telephone is negligible so your 700W heater is OK.

In the main fuses are to protect the cable and we have reduced them to just two sizes a 3A and a 13A and since 700W is quite close to 3A limit I can understand why a 13A is fitted.

However 700W is quite small and there is unlikely to be a problem if used together with a phone. The standard small extension with around a meter of cable and 4 way socket should work without a problem.

There are always exceptions to a rule and using an extension with the cable coiled could be a problem but should be no problem with standard short one.

your heater is about 3 amp [230w=1amp ish] so you have another 2200 watts
you can use assuming your extension is 13 amp and not say 6 amps then its 700w

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. The extension is just a standard 4-plug/1 metre cable so sounds like it should be ok then.

I would change the socket to a double outlet rather than a single but the heater lead isn't actually long enough to reach the power outlet so I would still need an extension anyway to enable me to wall mount it in the place where I want it.

Can I just double check whether I have correctly understood that the extension could in theory take, for example, 2 x 3 amp plugs and a 13 amp plug (19amp total) as long as the actual appliances are below 1kw (e.g. 700 watt heater, a telephone and a phone charger (total less than 300w)?

Thanks again for your help.

Ian

your heater is about 3 amp [230w=1amp ish] so you have another 2200 watts
you can use assuming your extension is 13 amp and not say 6 amps then its 700w

Sorry, sent my reply before seeing your post. Your post has pretty much answered my follow up question so that was really useful.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back