Safely blank tank connector at mains pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to temporarily remove a downstairs WC where the cistern is fed straight off the mains, just after the stop cock, with no room to fit an isolating valve.

I need to blank/seal the cistern tank connector while the loo is out (which may be for a few weeks).

Mains pressure is 5 bar or more.

Can I safely/reliably seal it with a 1/2 inch brass blanking plug and a new fibre washer or could someone recommend a better solution that doesn't involve soldering a stop-end on in lieu of the tank connector?

Need to be sure it won't leak and flood the whole house.

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
If your temp removeing wc remove cistern aswell, Turn water off at stop(1st) tap and fit isolating valve,even if pipework is tight u only need 25mmish to get a pipe slice round it.

Yes, it's a close-coupled loo, so the cistern will be out as well.

The branch to the cistern is only about 4" long and cranks in three different directions so I'd not get a standard isolating valve on it and be able to reconnect to the cistern after it.

I suppose a flexible pipe with isolating valve would solve the problem, but could I rely on the isolating valve to hold that pressure?

Sponsored Links
Can I safely/reliably seal it with a 1/2 inch brass blanking plug and a new fibre washer
Nobody on here knows how capable you are, but Yes. :)
I suppose a flexible pipe with isolating valve would solve the problem, but could I rely on the isolating valve to hold that pressure?
Yes, it would have been tested to hold more pressure than that, but if in any doubt, isloate the valve and still fit the plug to the open end.

All float operated valves should have an isolation valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back