Safely move cross bonding when installing new taps

lm1

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am installing new sink/taps in a bathroom, currently all copper pipe straight to tap. I am planning to cut a few inches off the top of each of the hot/cold water pipes, and then attach the flexi connector that came with the tap.
Currently there is cross bonding connected from the cold to the hot pipe, am I safe to just remove this existing bonding and move it down a few inches? As right now it's above where will be removed and replaced by flexi.

Sponsored Links
You can, but if a bathroom needs supplementary bonding it should be done at the point of entry (can be on the other side of the wall) and must link all the metal pipes entering the bathroom to the earthwires of all the circuits entering the bathroom. Including metal radiator pipes. Some bathrooms have iron soilpipes or lead wastepipes which must also be linked. The linking should be accessible and visible or nobody knows is is there or can see if it is damaged. Mine are in the airing cupboard.

Having connected them all at the point of entry you do not need to do it again inside the bathroom.

You can, but if a bathroom needs supplementary bonding it should be done at the point of entry (can be on the other side of the wall)
I don't think that is a rule. It doesn't really matter; somewhere is satisfactory

and must link all the metal pipes entering the bathroom
Unless they are not extraneous-conductive-parts.

to the earthwires of all the circuits entering the bathroom.
Ok.

Including metal radiator pipes. Some bathrooms have iron soilpipes or lead wastepipes which must also be linked.
True - if they are extraneous-conductive-parts.

The linking should be accessible and visible or nobody knows is is there or can see if it is damaged.
Surely the point of entry might not be so.

Mine are in the airing cupboard.
Ok.

Having connected them all at the point of entry you do not need to do it again inside the bathroom.
True - but the same would apply wherever they were connected.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back