Safety considerations for wall hung cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have converted an old kitchen into a GF single bedroom in which one side has a plasterboard stud partition. This side of the wall once had wall hung cupboards but now it's all been reskimmed etc.

We need more space in there for my young daughter. How best to secure new wall hung cupboards of approx size 400mm deep, 1500mm wide and 500-600m height?

The wall length is approx 2600mm but as it approaches the door to the room I don't want the cupboard coming out into the room in case someone bangs their head. In the location I'm considering it's above a table.

Neither sides can't really screw into a wall as such and that leaves only the back plasterboard. The previous kitchen cupboards screwed into the side walls for support but had smaller cupboards nearer to the door.

Any suggestions on how can safely do this and also whether my suggested dimensions are sound?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
The plasterboard wall almost certainly is built by nailing onto wooden studwork.

Find out where the studs are by drilling and using my Special Tool.

Screw metal Cabinet Hanging Rail to the studs

Hang your cabinets on the Rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back