Safety Matches

S

Shutpa

All the lights went out last night and had to light a candle to see my way around. Not a problem, because I always keep candles and matches in a handy place both upstairs and downstairs. The problem was when I struck the match, the head flew off and set fire to what turned out to be decorations. Being in the dark I could only stamp on the flames as they travelled round the room. It worked. Later in bed, I decided that in future I would always go for safety matches until I realised that the heads could fly off these too. So I'm going to replace the matches with disposable lighters.

Moving on, I then began to wonder just how safety matches work. Now if Tim West gets round to reading this and is thinking up a clever reply, I do know ,that you strike them against the edge of the box. I have also heard that they can be ignited by striking on glass. However, I have tried this and it doesn't work for me. Just how do they work?

Sponsored Links
It's pretty simple really; they have the oxidising agent on the box rather than in the match-head.

BTW have you never heard of a torch?

I have managed to strike safety matches on glass before now, so yes I can confirm that it's true....... but I have no idea why :oops:

Sponsored Links
I have managed to strike safety matches on glass before now, so yes I can confirm that it's true....... but I have no idea why :oops:

When the friction is high enough to heat the match head at the point it contacts the glass then the match will use oxygen directly from the air.

Bolo! :eek: I would only hope that you find my replies helpful?
Anyway the only suggestion of advice I can give you in this instance would be to keep a bucket of water handy in each room.
And to ask someone else to take responsibility for the actual striking of the matches. ;)

When the friction is high enough to heat the match head at the point it contacts the glass then the match will use oxygen directly from the air.

:eek: Strange, I wouldn't have thought that much friction could be produced on glass with it being so smooth, I have way in the past tried safety matches on all sorts of things (mostly as a youth trying to hide a smoking habit from parents :oops:) but if I recall correctly glass and the formica toilet cubicle doors we had in school worked best ;)

I just presumed that there was "something in them" that the matches liked, prat. :LOL: :LOL:

The thing is that the friction must be constant. If you use any type of rough surface like sandpaper then the area in contact wears away and reduces the heat. Glass and formica have just enough friction to allow heat build up.

The thing is that the friction must be constant. If you use any type of rough surface like sandpaper then the area in contact wears away and reduces the heat. Glass and formica have just enough friction to allow heat build up.

Yep, it's all perfectly clear now, ta. Hope Gcol already knows that or never has the need (refering to another thread) ;)

I've yet to find anything gcol does know. :cry:

Yep, it's all perfectly clear now, ta. Hope Gcol already knows that or never has the need (refering to another thread) ;)

Thank you for that joe-90, it is good to see that you have an informative and pleasant side to you.

Sponsored Links
Back