Sagging ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of repairing a ceiling which has sagged significantly. 2” x 2” ceiling battens are supported by 2.5” x 7” binders at approximately 1m spacing between centres. The binders are set into a gable end wall at one end and sit on the wall plate at the other, giving a total span of 5.5m. I want to replace the offending binders but I would prefer to maintain a max. depth of 7” to interface the ceiling with the remainder of the boarded loft. The building regs state that the max. span of a 3” x 7” SC4 binder under moderate loading is 3.24m. Can anyone advise me whether a composite timber joist constructed of three 2” x 7” laminates with staggered scarf joints with satisfy the building regs? Should such a joist be glued and bolted or would bolted timber connectors be a better approach?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back