Salt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being 19+ stone & on a diet (!!), I am increasingly aware of the salt content of food.

There is far more salt in food than is healthy.

I know the arguments that we need salt in our diet to manufacture HCl for digestion, and that some foods need salt (tried making bread without?), but generally, there is way too much.

Our palates need to be re-educated.

Last year, I bought a veggie pasta ready meal for one and was amazed to find it incredibly (and inedibly) salty. When I read the nutrition panel, there was 5.9g of salt in the whole meal.

That is virtually a day's RDA... :eek:

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Being 19+ stone & on a diet (!!), I am increasingly aware of the salt content of food.

There is far more salt in food than is healthy.

But don't reduce too much salt otherwise your sweat does not have enough to kill bacteria and B O can increase ( or start )

It's also essential for brain activity which relies on a K / Na balance to produce electrical impulses. But yes you are right, salt is a flavour enhancer, as is sugar, hence why cheap food is often laden with said ingredients, I think recommended intake is no more than 3g per day

Gvt RDA for salt is no more than 6g, but I'd cheerfully halve that..

Sponsored Links
Not much chance you need to worry about insufficient salt.

It annoys me that children's breakfast cereals, and tomato ketchup, are stuffed with it.

I've even stopped using salt in the dishwasher so it doesn't collect on the plates!

In Stockport, we set our dishwashers to "no salt" because the water's soft enough. Use salt & the cutlery starts rusting... :cry:

In 'Ampshire, the water's so 'ard we build 'ouses with it.

securespark said:
In Stockport, we set our dishwashers to "no salt" because the water's soft enough. Use salt & the cutlery starts rusting... :cry:

start rusting ? ooh think of the extra iron ! ;)

:LOL:

On a serious note, I do put too much salt on my chips. I'm trying to get out of the habit. Maybe having no salt in the house might help. Light mayonnaise could see its way onto my chips instead of salt in the near future.

I am always on the lookout on food packaging for the salt content (so i know how much i can add!) :LOL:

Salty chips?

Northerner!

Down here we eat Frites mayo'

p.s. you can often use pepper to enliven the taste instead of salt.

So which bit of the beast is the burger, then? :LOL:

I'm taking the Co-op to court on Tuesday.

I'm suing them under the Trades Descriptions Act - their Truly Irresistable meat range is actually truly resistable to me - I don't eat meat!!

Anyone tried Tyrrells crisps? Man, they are nice crisps!!! Hand baked apparently!

Ive been trying to cook a little different for a while, there is a replacement recipe for salt on Google, :?:

Sponsored Links
Back