Salts/damp spots coming through plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house with stone walls. My plaseterer dot and dabbed the plasterboard on the wall. For some time I thought they were dam spots. I have put my fire on and dehumidifier and doesnt help that much. I now think that the salts/minerals are being absorbed from the stone through the dot and dab to the plaster board as the plasterboard is not dam and looks like its reacting with something.

Obviously they do not look good. Is there a paint that will stop this coming through? I know there is hammerite etc for outside, however I was wondering if there is anything more friendlier to use indoors

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Can you post photos?

Is it possible that these are cold spots, due to the dabs conducting heat, and you are getting condensation there?

sounds like penetratin damp comin through the dabs of adhesive - a very common thing esp. in stone walls.
salts in the penetratin damp will attract condensation sometimes so you might have penetratin damp an condensation.

no paint or so called damp proofin liquid will permanently stop what youve got

are the walls rendered on the outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back