Plasterboard on lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a couple of walls which are lined with lining paper and painted over. The lining paper looks solid. It's not peeling off or anything.

Can I use plasterboard adhesive and dot and dab on to this?

Sponsored Links
Do you think it will peel off when it gets wet from the blob of adhesive?

I don't think so, especially given that it is painted over but have very little experience of this

It was rhetorical.

What you will get is the plasterboards being held up by wallpaper paste and not by bonding adhesive to a solid background

Sponsored Links
Do you think it will peel off when it gets wet from the blob of adhesive?

Woody gets charged per keyboard stroke :)

The paste will fail on the paper and so will the dot n dab as woody says. It will then all come crashing down well maybe not crashing but you never know.

is that realistic? I will tear down the paper first if it is absolutely necessary.

is that realistic? I will tear down the paper first if it is absolutely necessary.

It may never happen and if your happy to take the risk go for it. I would for the sake of all the mess now in stripping off just do it. I did it just last year myself it was my daughters room and didn't want to take any risks, plus with the law of sod it only happens when you least need it!

Thanks...
Ok, what's the easiest way to remove lining paper that's been painted on? Thanks in advance.

Thanks...
Ok, what's the easiest way to remove lining paper that's been painted on? Thanks in advance.

I used a hot water paper stripper and paint scraper plus lots of brute force!. doesnt have to be perfect but as long as most of the paper is gone so the dabs grab the wall not the paper its fine.

You could fix it with that expanding foam especially for plasterboard the pink stuff
but they still recommend a few mechanical fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back