Salty fluffy stuff under plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, currently decorating a bedroom and above the main window the plaster was bulging and generally not looking good.

I have knocked a lot of it off, and underneath there is a lot of salty residue that looks like it has literally pushed the plaster off.

The house is 1950's with a cement render over the brickwork and then a plaster skim on top of that.

There is also a large concrete lintel above the window so perhaps the saltyness comes from that.

Anyway, I assume it points towards damp, but as far as I can tell this must have happened a long time ago as it seems completely dry now, even after rain.

So, question is, is there anything I can treat the wall with to effectively seal in all the salty stuff to allow me to plaster back over the top of it?

Or, do you think just clean it all off and plaster over without doing anything else?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
photos would help?
do you have external render in good condition?
do you have cavity insulation?
does the room have ventilation and heating?
google pics of "efflorescence"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back